Monday, February 23, 2009

"I do believe, help my unbelief!"

"But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."
Jesus said to him, "'If you can!' Everything is possible to one who has faith."
Then the boy's father cried out, "I do believe, help my unbelief!"
-Mk. 9


When I was in 8th grade I decided I wanted to be perfect. Looking back I don't even know what I saw as really that holy or good in myself- but that was my goal. I had this crazy drive to "be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" and I knew that it was possible even if everyone told me it wasn't. I didn't really know what being perfect looked like- I thought it included things like sitting up straight all the time, and eating a fruit and a vegetable for lunch- but I really think the greatest point of that decision was my faith. I never thought that the hope or the drive to be perfect would be more valuable than the actual product. People always discredit desires because they're associated a lot with basic survival drives and appetites- but desire is so important- I could argue that it's the beginnings of faith and hope. Faith and trust has gotten me through college- though I'm not done yet- it's gotten me through immense spiritual dryness and poverty- boy, you wonder why Jesus always says "Go in peace- your faith has saved you". We don't have to be perfect to be resigned to the will of God- "I do believe, help my unbelief!"

No comments: