Thursday, August 20, 2009

Soup Day

Being rainy and cold- I thought it an excellent day for soup and reading. Reading that I've tried to do for years but never really got done... I think a lot of those into Anne of Green Gables series fizzle out around Rainbow Valley. Somehow when the exciting Anne and Gilbert love story is now more of a peaceful ever after, people lose interest. Being a big advocate for loving everyday life, I didn't want to be that way- so I've tried to plunge for the past few summers into Rainbow Valley. It seems I've been unsuccessful- but I did read a good chunk today.

In the meantime I was more successful making soup. During the past few years of living in the house at St. Olaf I found out that people actually make soup- not just get it from a can- horrible I know. I also found out how easy it was to make your own with whatever you had. Today I made some that I like to make a lot with dried split peas.

I boiled about 5 cups of water with
  • half a bag of dried split peas, rinsed
  • about half an onion, chopped
  • two cloves of chopped garlic
  • one sweet potato
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 stalks of celery (w/ leaves) chopped
After that I added seasonings like a little dried oregano, a bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. I didn't add enough salt this time- silly me. Then I boiled it all for about an hour- maybe- I really don't know how long. I usually just boil it until I can't stand to not eat it any more- but an hour would be good- at least until the peas get soft and mushy and it becomes thick and soupish. Easy, good for lent, sticks to the ribs, and made out of random things anyone can have!