Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I will strike you down and cut off your head

David answered him:
“You come against me with sword and spear and scimitar,
but I come against you in the name of the LORD of hosts,
the God of the armies of Israel that you have insulted.
Today the LORD shall deliver you into my hand;
I will strike you down and cut off your head.
This very day I will leave your corpse
and the corpses of the Philistine army for the birds of the air
and the beasts of the field;
thus the whole land shall learn that Israel has a God.
All this multitude, too,
shall learn that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves.
For the battle is the LORD’s and he shall deliver you into our hands.”
(1 Samuel 17)

So, the Devil is really stupid.  But often times for stupid reasons we listen to his lies and throw ourselves into a tizzy.  The reading about how David whooped Goliath today was so great for me to read since lately the Devil has been really bothering me with all sorts of crap.  But that's just what it is- crap!  He comes against me with physical temptations and intellectual lies and so often I come up against him with nothing- and all by myself.  

The Philistine said to David,
“Am I a dog that you come against me with a staff?”
Then the Philistine cursed David by his gods
and said to him, “Come here to me,
and I will leave your flesh for the birds of the air
and the beasts of the field.”

But God is so HUGE!  And God is ALWAYS THERE and with one tiny thought he is able to 'strike him down and cut off his head'.  Why don't I come against the Devil in the Name of the Lord Jesus?!  God uses anything to crush the head of the serpent when we come to him.  There are so many times where nothing can break through the walls of despair I imprison myself in- no kind words, no reason or argument, no chastisement- but then someone will spell the word "stake" as "steak" and I'll accidentally smile.  After that God has his in and I cannot be controlled by despair any longer.  God knows us!  If David slew the Philistine with an rock we can stomp on the head of the serpent with a pair of fun high heels!  Of course behind those 'fun high heels' is an immense amount of strength and love.  We are nothing without God- but God always comes as these little things that are seemingly insignificant.  Babies!  Bread!  Wine that can be spilled!  We always think that we need some thing huge like a big fireball to fight but God gives us something ridiculous to drive away the Devil like misspelled words or a little pebble in a slingshot "this multitude, too, shall learn that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves"!  I'm reminded many times of a post from Quantitative Metathesis called "A Face Off" and this is definitely one of those days.  God is all powerful!  Worship Him!  He is great and glorious!!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is SO true! The Devil gets so mad when we get so dang distracted by little "joys" like misspelled words. Yesterday I was tempted by him to "plunge into despair," and then I slipped on the ice and just couldn't help but laugh because I looked so ridiculous. Lord, save us from ourself!

I miss you. Today I'm wearing the skirt you made me. Everyone loves it. It's SO non-European. That is why I love it. I can be a country Minnesotan girl in it.

Rebecca said...

Oh, one more thing. I'm sure you've read pleasant view schoolhouse's:
"In which we Wear hats, boots, skis, and skates." Well, it reminded me of you and this sentence: "The Composer always wears his serious boots for these big winter trips," has your voice in it.

That's all. I'm praying for YOU!!!!