Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Small Delights

"Marie took me on her knees on the evening before these days and prepared me just as she had done for my first communion.  I recall how she once spoke to me about suffering.  She said she thought God would always carry me like a baby rather than make me tread the path of suffering.  After Holy Communion next day I remembered this and was seized with passionate longing to suffer.  I felt absolutely certain that Jesus had many, many crosses in store for me.  My soul was flooded with such consolation that I regard it as one of the greatest graces of my life.  I was drawn to suffering.  It had a charm which delighted me, though I didn't really understand much about this charm, for until then I had suffered without loving suffering.  But from that day I felt a deep, true love for it."

              -St. Therese, Story of a Soul

1 comment:

Michael said...

I wish I was like her... I encounter suffering and I get bogged down by it and I run from it. It really seems this way sometimes.