Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Law

I read the readings for daily mass every morning and they've always got psalms about loving "the law of the Lord"- I've been thinking more and more about it lately though
"The law of your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces" Ps 119:72
"I gasp with open mouth in my yearning for your commands" Ps 119:131
This was one of those things that I always read but never got- not that I didn't understand that the law of the Lord was right, but that's all it was to me the "right thing". The law of the Lord is such a wonderful freeing thing though- I never realized how much you can actually love the law. If you think about it though, it's part of you- it's part of loving yourself, loving the way you were made. The law of the Lord is written on your heart, it's unhealthy to reject it. Everyone who strays from the law gets hurt. You need to take care of yourself physically, spiritually and emotionally and loving the law is part of that. It's not just loving the law because it's right- it's loving the law because it's part of you- it's just like self discovery, obeying the law lets you be yourself completely without inhibitions. Oh how I weep for those who see the law as a restraint- if I thought like that it would suck my soul.
Isn't funny then that we still sin? Stupid. It's just like when people don't exercise, they know it's right and good but they don't love taking care of their bodies so they don't exercise. There is something so holy about exercise. It makes us closer to what we will be like in heaven. If your body is in order, it will obey your soul better. You will be better able to carry out the good you want to do and pay little attention to the evil you do not want to do.
"Yours, O Lord, are grandeur and power,
majesty, splendor, and glory.
For all in heaven and on earth is yours" 1Chr 29:11

2 comments:

Tony Pistilli said...

That's such a great way to think about the law: loving yourself. What a great way to manipulate human pride. If you actually love yourself how can you live in a way that will hurt you and make you unhappy. I remember how awesome it was when we read Aristotle and Aquinas in Philosophy class and they both said that ultimately material forms of pleasure are fleeting. It became so apparent that really God has our best interest in hand!

Michael said...

Beautifully written! Its also all true, I'm hurting because I want to exercise, but I haven't because I wanted to get a bunch of paper writing done without interrupting it. Your body truly is a temple, I think everything we do makes us happy or unhappy, like I feel accomplished and more alive because I really did good work today. God Bless you!