Monday, November 3, 2008

Patience Patience...




The other day I was reading the Bible- like normal people do- and I came across this passage in Sirach (1:22-23):

Unrighteous anger cannot be justified,
for a man's anger tips the scale to his ruin.
A patient man will endure until the right moment,
and then joy will burst fourth for him.

I have always thought of patience as a real sit down and shut up kind of deal. Though one may always be relieved that he was patient, it was more of a calm and quiet thing. I never really thought of joy bursting fourth in the midst of patience. Though that's not really what the verse said, that's what it made me think of. I've always wanted to be that mild and sweet mother character that says things like "Oh dear child, the Blessed Mother smiles upon you" and then light surrounds my head and peace oozes from everywhere.
But I always ended up getting really excited about things and making people shout and dance and do crazy things while we wait. I always saw that as kind of an impulsive fault of mine- but I really think patience can be that way. It can burst fourth with joy. Which is something that I should really keep in mind as I am waiting for many things at the moment and I feel like I should sit down and shut up, but maybe I can have fun while I'm waiting instead and use my time- then I can burst fourth with even more joy when the moment I've been waiting for comes. Oh Mother, help us to LIVE and be patient!

No comments: